This role is to provide high-level research and academic support to the Dean of the School of Medicine of UGHE . The position manages Dean’s global research portfolio and supports the Dean in writing, research grants , and scientific engagements.
- Manage the progression of all global research studies included in the Dean’s research portfolio and coordinate author teams for scientific writing
- Conduct robust research literature reviews to gather enough information to support the Dean’s global research portfolio;
- Prepare, write, and edit scientific manuscripts in conjunction with the research coordinated to facilitate research and contribute to the body of knowledge
- Manage the shepherding of manuscripts through the publication process, including review of the manuscripts, edit as appropriate and submit for approval;
- Manage ethics reviews to enhance UGHE’s compliance with national and international regulations;
- Write reports and concept notes on all research coordinated for documentation and future reference;
- Work in coordination with the other research team to facilitate grant management, research project, reporting, and administrative duties;
- Provide support on general writing, speechwriting , scientific editing, and presentations preparation for international engagements in the Office of the Dean,
- Follow up on global official and academic documents for the Dean to ensure they are available and up to date;
- Attend and provide support at research meetings and engagements when appropriate through preparation of minutes and reports;
- Monitor and track documents, international projects, and tasks, ensuring attention to time-sensitive issues and longer-term initiatives and provide succinct background information when needed.
- Quality management of Dean’s research portfolio
- Timely and quality preparation of written works, speaking engagements, scientific presentations, teaching engagements etc.
- Comprehensiveness of report and briefs to the Dean
- Accurateness and ease of reference of documentation at the Dean’s office
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
a. Academic qualifications
- Master’s or advanced degree in the health sciences, global health, public health, or other related field
- At least one (1) year experience working within an international environment with an international organization, NGO ( Non-Governmental Organization) , public sector, and/or academic setting eCOWfgw CzJt4S
- Demonstrable experience in research and scientific writing
- Track record of research and publication
c . Te chnical competencies
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Google Drive required
- Familiarity with statistical analysis software preferred
- Familiarity with data collection and ability to interpret data results
- Fluency in English required
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize projects with extraordinary attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative; must be a quick learner, able to multi-task and easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- Excellent organizational skills and capacity to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Experience working within an international environment with an international organization, NGO, public sector and/or academic setting.
- Demonstrable work experience in research and personal assistant roles in high pressure environments.
d . Behavioral Competencies
- Ability to effectively work in a team in a complex, fast paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, partners, and clients
- A positive attitude
- Flexibility and agility
- Passion for social justice and global health
- Advanced diplomatic instincts with the ability to work within challenging professional contexts requiring tact, judgment, and discretion
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arise
- Excellent communication, time management, and organization
How to Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) curriculum vitae, (2) Degree , (3) A cover letter describing your interest in UGHE and relecant experience. Please upload these under the ‘Additional Files’ tab on the application page.
University of Global Health Equity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UGHE is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. The UGHE Center for Equity in Global Surgery (CEGS) is focused on contributing solutions to the imbalance in surgical access through five key pillars- Fellowship, Education and Training, Global Convenings, Research and Innovation, and Policy and Advocacy. In partnership with several global surgery organizations, the Center provides support for both undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum development in the surgical sciences, clinical and community-based research across sub-Saharan Africa, and support for regional surgical, obstetrics, and anesthesia plans.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Commitment to Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment: At UGHE, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including community members – as well as our students, contractors, staff, and visitors to our campus are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and any form of systemic abuse, whilst reducing risk and vulnerabilities. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UGHE’s policy.
UGHE will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, harassment, sexual harassment and any form of systemic abuse or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Additional Information on the opportunity
Opportunity ID 6818